Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removeable Media Bit Utility

[QUOTE=BrianMatte;45728]I would like to flip the RMB on my Supersonic 64gb, just like this guy:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...on-Magnum-64GB

+1 for a Removable bit flip utility. I just bought a patriot supersonic 64bit and am running the new Windows 8 preview off of it. Unfortunately it is crippled because i cant flip the removable bit. Otherwise, the drive is working superbly and i would have no qualms in recommending this drive be used by anyone wanting to run Windows 8 off a usb (which is a valid use for Windows 8).

Until i can get that damned bit flipped though, i cant fully use the drive for the intention i purchased it for and cant recommend it be used for this either.

Please! supply a utility to flip the removable bit that will allow us to use this great USB drive to it's fullest extent.

Many thanks

[QUOTE=petersem;51756]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMatte View Post
    I would like to flip the RMB on my Supersonic 64gb, just like this guy:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...on-Magnum-64GB

+1 for a Removable bit flip utility. I just bought a patriot supersonic 64bit and am running the new Windows 8 preview off of it. Unfortunately it is crippled because i cant flip the removable bit. Otherwise, the drive is working superbly and i would have no qualms in recommending this drive be used by anyone wanting to run Windows 8 off a usb (which is a valid use for Windows 8).

Until i can get that damned bit flipped though, i cant fully use the drive for the intention i purchased it for and cant recommend it be used for this either.

Please! supply a utility to flip the removable bit that will allow us to use this great USB drive to it's fullest extent.

Many thanks
    exact position i am in. i may just get an additional lexar since i know they have a utility for it.

+1 . Same as the other people. I bought this specifically to run Windows 8 To Go and now its useless as I cannot install any other app from the MS App store as it sees the device as removable media. 80% MS problem, 20% Patriot issue. After spending a fairly large amount of money on this drive Vs. others, you would hope they have better support. Guess not!

[QUOTE=bobbintb;51809]
    Quote Originally Posted by petersem View Post
    exact position i am in. i may just get an additional lexar since i know they have a utility for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by phez View Post
    +1 . Same as the other people. I bought this specifically to run Windows 8 To Go and now its useless as I cannot install any other app from the MS App store as it sees the device as removable media. 80% MS problem, 20% Patriot issue. After spending a fairly large amount of money on this drive Vs. others, you would hope they have better support. Guess not!
    The main reason I bought the supersonic is speed and capacity. If only I had known the stick is restricted as "removable media", I would have bought a much smaller capacity stick... I now use the supersonic only for backup, as I bought a Lexar
    to take on the role I was going to use the supersonic for...

Guys, I have done some reasearch and found a few links that tries to change the the RMB on these USB devices. I have not been very successful so far, but was hoping someone may find a solution that can share:

http://jeffgraves.me/2012/03/09/runn...on-controller/

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com.a...-media_20.html

Really, Patriot should assist and provide a utility to over come this issue!

any updates on the status of a tool?

Yes the bit should be flippable by the end user.

Why? To support Win 8 and it's Win To Go, and other uses but... it appears as though the S__Disk folks have set it to local as opposed to removable on some of their sticks as I just had a couple of 8gb that were set as local.

But on those the bit was not able to be set to removable as I needed.

Some concerns. Windows supposedly will only read the 'Icon' and 'Label' portions of autorun.inf of removeable devices yet will execute other portions of the autorun.inf if they appear as local. Why? Remember Conficker. Seems as though we are primed for another Conficker type infestation. So I still keep autorun turned off in my Win settings.

To me all thumb sticks from all manufacturers should come preset with the bit set to removable and they should include a bit flip utility on the stick.

Just my three cents.

Andrew

Add my vote for a utility. Is it even possible? or did the design engineers overlook the possibility someone may want to change it?
    trying to configure my 256GB as non-removable...

Default Poor customer support

Over 12,000 people have viewed this forum post. It's clear the users want this and Patriot is not offering it. I for one will not be buying another Patriot product until this tool is made because I currently cannot view my FAT32 partition on my ext4 formatted, linux-bootable, 16GB Patriot Supersonic Boost XT. Talk about a waste of money. Defeated the entire purpose of partitioning it for other OS use. At least OSX can see the partition so there's that I suppose... Time to buy a similar flash drive from a company that cares more about their customers!