Thread: Guide: Secure Erase/Zero Write/Factory Clear a Patriot SSD with Free/OSS software.

Default Guide: Secure Erase/Zero Write/Factory Clear a Patriot SSD with Free/OSS software.

First off, break any RAID arrays your drives are in. I recommend removing all drives other than the one(s) you intend to secure erase.

Then, download gParted, from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpar...1.iso/download

Burn it to a fresh CD, or if you are technically inclined, you may write it to a USB stick.

*WARNING*
    Writing to a USB stick leaves the stick in a state where windows cannot use it, and requires decent knowledge of partition tools to restore to usability by windows. I will not help with this, and this is why I recommend making a CD.

Either way, once this is done, boot the CD, and follow the video guide from there:

You'll have to excuse my sexy voice, I have a reconstructed facial injury that makes me sound vaguely like Kermit the Frog.

Command used is as follows:
    Code:
    hdparm --user-master m --security-erase NULL /dev/sda
    Last edited by BadIntentions; 10-30-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Is there a real big difference between this and Parted Magic?