Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSD24G8002S RAM - BIOS recognized new memory, not booting past black screen.

Default PSD24G8002S RAM - BIOS recognized new memory, not booting past black screen.

Hey I purchased 2x4GB sticks of PSD24G8002S (upgrading from a 2x2GB) and am having trouble getting them to work. I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-ES5025 with a 64-bit windows OS. I have no problem installing them and when I go into the BIOS it recognizes that I have 8GB of memory (I believe it says something like 8192 MB - or around there). However after the initial Toshiba screen, it then goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. Typically it blinks two to three times and loads windows, but with the new memory it seems to freeze here (cursor stops blinking). I have tried multiple times taking them out and putting them back in. Also have tried them both individually one at a time (BIOS recognizes each at just over 4GB) but it still won't load past the black screen.

The new sticks are PC2-6400 CL6 200-pin which I believe is the correct type of RAM needed but perhaps I'm wrong?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by moo00se View Post
    Hey I purchased 2x4GB sticks of PSD24G8002S (upgrading from a 2x2GB) and am having trouble getting them to work. I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-ES5025 with a 64-bit windows OS. I have no problem installing them and when I go into the BIOS it recognizes that I have 8GB of memory (I believe it says something like 8192 MB - or around there). However after the initial Toshiba screen, it then goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. Typically it blinks two to three times and loads windows, but with the new memory it seems to freeze here (cursor stops blinking). I have tried multiple times taking them out and putting them back in. Also have tried them both individually one at a time (BIOS recognizes each at just over 4GB) but it still won't load past the black screen.

The new sticks are PC2-6400 CL6 200-pin which I believe is the correct type of RAM needed but perhaps I'm wrong?

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Tyler.
    Hello,

According to specs, the memory should work. Can you try flashing the system to the latest bios? Try testing each stick on each slot by powering the system on (per stick & slot) to see if you can narrow down the issue to one particular stick.

Hey Ben,

Thanks for replying! So I did what you said and my BIOS was already up to date (version 1.10 - can check it to make sure). So then I put in the new sticks one at a time in both slots, with still no success. HOWEVER I put in one of my old 2GB sticks and one of the new 4GB sticks (for a total of 6GB ) and when I got to the blank screen it paused for probably two seconds and then loaded. When I checked my specs inside windows it said that I had 6GB of RAM.

So to sum things up I'm at a complete loss here...The manual to my model (Satellite L505D-ES5025) says that it can be upgraded to 8GB, but even if the limit was the problem whenever I put just one 4GB stick in it won't load. I'm am sooooo confused here.

I've had multiple people put in the RAM also so it isn't a installation error. Any thoughts on why I need one of the old sticks of RAM to get my new one to work???? Is there a way to make my laptop read in the new RAM initially on startup without needing the old RAM?

Thanks again Tyler
    Last edited by moo00se; 12-06-2011 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moo00se View Post
    Hey Ben,

Thanks for replying! So I did what you said and my BIOS was already up to date (version 1.10 - can check it to make sure). So then I put in the new sticks one at a time in both slots, with still no success. HOWEVER I put in one of my old 2GB sticks and one of the new 4GB sticks (for a total of 6GB ) and when I got to the blank screen it paused for probably two seconds and then loaded. When I checked my specs inside windows it said that I had 6GB of RAM.

So to sum things up I'm at a complete loss here...The manual to my model (Satellite L505D-ES5025) says that it can be upgraded to 8GB, but even if the limit was the problem whenever I put just one 4GB stick in it won't load. I'm am sooooo confused here.

I've had multiple people put in the RAM also so it isn't a installation error. Any thoughts on why I need one of the old sticks of RAM to get my new one to work???? Is there a way to make my laptop read in the new RAM initially on startup without needing the old RAM?

Thanks again Tyler
    Hmmm... that's strange. Let's try the following. Can you test the memory with Memtest?

Memtest can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/

If the system will not work without the original 2GB stick, please run it with the 2GB sticks. Please rotate the orientation of the 2GB stick in conjunction with the Patriot Sticks. Ie; Test 1- slot 1: Original 2GB slot 2: 4GB Patriot, Test 2- slot 1: 4GB slot 2: 2GB etc. Please report the findings on the four total tests.

So I downloaded memtest and ran it without any errors with old-stick1 in top slot and new-stick1 in bottom slot (they are kinda stacked on each other) and it said that I had no errors. I then moved new-stick1 to the top slot and old-stick1 to bottom slot, brought up the boot menu, selected the CD and it froze. Shut it down tried just starting it normally and it also froze. So I then switched the sticks back to the way I had them before and everything worked fine again.

So then I tried old-stick2 in top slot and new-stick2 in bottom slot and it started up fine, but when I switched them like I did with the other two sticks it froze again.

Also tried putting both new-stick1 and new-stick2 in by themselves in both top and bottom slot with no success. Basically I have to have a old-stick in the top slot if I want to have a new-stick in the bottom slot or in my computer at all. Any thoughts??? I really don't know where to go from here.

Also it works with the 2 old sticks both in, in either slots together or alone.

Thanks

Here are the results for the one test I did run before I realized I couldn't run it with a new-stick in the top slot. (Idk what you need so I just wrote down everything) -

L1 Cache: 64k 37610 MB/s
    L2 Cache: 512k 12138 MB/s
    L3 Cache: none
    Memory: 5884M 3618 MB/s
    IMC: AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile (ECC: Disabled)
    Settings: RAM: 400 MHz (DDR800) / CAS: 6-6-6-18 / DDR2 (64bits)
    Cached - 5884M, Rsvd Mem - 2252k, MemMap - e820, Cache - on, ECC - off, Test - std, Pass - 1, Errors - 0

Hello,

Hmmm...that's strange. Is there any way you can contact Toshiba to see if this system truly supports 8GB memory at 800MHz speed? Based on specs available signs indicate that it should. However based on your testing it might suggest that there might be speed compatibility issue at 8GB. Perhaps you can check to see if you have the optimal bios for this configuration as well. Your tests suggests that the Patriot Sticks work, we'll be glad to initiate the warranty otherwise.

Also, check this thread here. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Compute...GB/td-p/186518

It's different laptop, but it's another case of a Toshiba laptop having problems with 8GB. See if you can disable the Legacy USB. It does look like the system is reserving about 2Gb for something.

Default Solution: Disable Legacy USB in BIOS

Yep, I had EXACTLY the same issue with a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6067 running Linux. This problem (and related problems about awaking from sleep after memory upgrade) has repeatedly come up on the Toshiba forums under different models and configurations. As someone already noted, at least for many of us it seems the problem can be fixed by disabling Legacy USB support in BIOS. See the thread entitled A505-S6986-random-reboots-with-8GB-memory-legacy-USB-support.

Quote Originally Posted by zacharyharris View Post
    Yep, I had EXACTLY the same issue with a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6067 running Linux. This problem (and related problems about awaking from sleep after memory upgrade) has repeatedly come up on the Toshiba forums under different models and configurations. As someone already noted, at least for many of us it seems the problem can be fixed by disabling Legacy USB support in BIOS. See the thread entitled A505-S6986-random-reboots-with-8GB-memory-legacy-USB-support.
    Thanks for confirming. I'm stickying this for now in case anyone else has an issue with Toshiba notebooks.

Feedback welcomed, whether this worked (or did not).

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Thanks for confirming. I'm stickying this for now in case anyone else has an issue with Toshiba notebooks.

Feedback welcomed, whether this worked (or did not).
    I have a Toshiba Satelite A665-s6086 and I have been struggling with this RAM issue for months now. I had been settling for the 6GB that the system would boot with. I just wanted to thank you for stickying this post because it worked for me. As soon as I disabled legacy emulation and exited BIOS my computer booted fine and is recognizing the full 8GB of memory. Again, thank you so much.