Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Alpine Matrix Alpha Firmware

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I suggest that you try to download the firmware once more and then try the installation again.

Snappy
    I re downloaded it and yes it updated properly.
    Even with the new firmware mkv's are nowhere to be found. This unit was so not ready to be release into the marketplace. No support or anything. The user manual was a joke, explains nothing...
    Reason why i bought this was because it was android. Now I am finding a lot of companies will be coming out with android based systems. So maybe its better to wait until somebody better comes out with something that works.
    Is WD Live hub a better option? based on several reviews I don't see anyone saying that wd doesn't work.
    pretty frustrated with this unit.

For those that might be interested I had a quick look at some of the app that makes up the PBO Alpine. It turns out that the home screen is the AlpineHome.apk app on the PBO Alpine. The actual home screen wallpaper are embedded ... well actually in the drawable folder of that application. This means that in order to add your own home screen wallpaper you need to unpack that application (AlpineHome.apk) and add or replace existing wallpaper picture with one of your choice. Just to access the folder where that application reside you need to root the PBO Alpine therefore the process is far from straight forward. Hopefully Patriot will improve on that app (AlpineHome.apk) to allow external pictures (USB or SD) to be used as wallpaper for those that are not techky/geeky oriented. .

Cheers !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Again, this is still in the Alpha phase... so there's still a bit of work to be done. This is just a preview for you guys to play around with right now.
    Hi Ben, thanks for sharing the Alpha with us. I have had an opportunity to play with the Alpha and provide some of my initial comments on the Alpha and Alpine in general:

- The new Alpha home screen is 1000% nicer than stock.

- While the system moves very slow, especially when typing, it appears that the system moves a little bit faster under the Alpha.

- The ability to attach a USB hub and use a keyboard and mouse is really nice.

- The ability to install Android applications is great.

SUGGESTIONS
    - It would be nice to be able to listen to music from the web. This is actually a really important "wife factor" :-). She wants to listen to her Austrian radio station which is offered in either Windows Media or Winamp. However, the stock firmware would not allow me to install the Winamp app. I also purchased the intune pro app to allow her to listen to her radio station. However, while the app can be installed and runs, no sound comes out of the TV. For your convenience, we are trying to listen to ORF O3 which can be found here: http://www.listenlive.eu/austria.html

- Ability to download applications from Google Play. If Google Play is not in the short-term game plan, would it be possible for you to provide us with root access so we can install it ourselves?

- Ability to install applications on the SD Card as the small size of the internal memory does not allow one to install a lot of applications.

- Upgrade Android 2.2. While ICS would be perfect, even a small step to 2.3 or 3 would be nice as it would allow additional applications to be installed.

BROKEN
    - After installing the Alpha, Applications from the home page return the following error "Sorry, The application Home (process com.appmatrixinc.apline.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force Close". I have flashed the Alpha firmware a second time and still receive the above error. The applications worked previously with the stock firmware.

- Since I cannot access applications in the Alpha firmware, this note is in relation to the stock firmware... I could not install Flash 11.1.

- The remote is just too small and does not consistently work. I find myself pressing a button a number of times. As was previously mentioned by another user, it is also difficult to use over any period of time.

All the best,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tim711 View Post
    Will there be development on an engine that would pull video cover art / description from the internet using something like IMDB?
    Hi tim711,

Yes this is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Itslife View Post
    Hi Ben, thanks for sharing the Alpha with us. I have had an opportunity to play with the Alpha and provide some of my initial comments on the Alpha and Alpine in general:

- The new Alpha home screen is 1000% nicer than stock.

- While the system moves very slow, especially when typing, it appears that the system moves a little bit faster under the Alpha.

- The ability to attach a USB hub and use a keyboard and mouse is really nice.

- The ability to install Android applications is great.

SUGGESTIONS
    - It would be nice to be able to listen to music from the web. This is actually a really important "wife factor" :-). She wants to listen to her Austrian radio station which is offered in either Windows Media or Winamp. However, the stock firmware would not allow me to install the Winamp app. I also purchased the intune pro app to allow her to listen to her radio station. However, while the app can be installed and runs, no sound comes out of the TV. For your convenience, we are trying to listen to ORF O3 which can be found here: http://www.listenlive.eu/austria.html

- Ability to download applications from Google Play. If Google Play is not in the short-term game plan, would it be possible for you to provide us with root access so we can install it ourselves?

- Ability to install applications on the SD Card as the small size of the internal memory does not allow one to install a lot of applications.

- Upgrade Android 2.2. While ICS would be perfect, even a small step to 2.3 or 3 would be nice as it would allow additional applications to be installed.

BROKEN
    - After installing the Alpha, Applications from the home page return the following error "Sorry, The application Home (process com.appmatrixinc.apline.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force Close". I have flashed the Alpha firmware a second time and still receive the above error. The applications worked previously with the stock firmware.

- Since I cannot access applications in the Alpha firmware, this note is in relation to the stock firmware... I could not install Flash 11.1.

- The remote is just too small and does not consistently work. I find myself pressing a button a number of times. As was previously mentioned by another user, it is also difficult to use over any period of time.

All the best,

Richard
    Thank you for your feedback Richard. I have passed along your findings to our PBO Engineers.

As far as Google Play we will include the support for this in a future release. We will be hosting the SDK for this later. As of now, we still have a lot of things to clean up, such as drivers and basic hardware support.

The current large remote is not compatible with the Matrix, but you can use the stock firmware for now if this is more comfortable.
    If you send us an e-mail: RMA@Patriotmem.com, with your invoice, and full mailing address, we'll be glad to ship you the larger compatible PBO Core remote.

Is there a time line or estimated target date for the Beta release of the new Alpine matrix firmware? It would be nice to have.

1. Compatiblity with Google Play and/or Amazon App stores
    2. Built in and seamless SAMBA file sharing that can be turned on or off similar to PBO core.
    3. Able to move movable apps to SD card
    4. Fully functional/consistent remote control operation with both PBO core and Alpine remotes (Some documentation on key codes as well)
    6. Make |< and >| keys on remote page up and down file listings and also holding up or down arrows continuous scroll file list until released. Left arrow navigation button functions same as back button on remote when navigating folder structures.
    7. Full or longer file name display during media browsing. More efficient use of screen space to show longer file names and more items per page

Well that's my wish list.
    Last edited by pageauc; 05-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pageauc View Post
    Is there a time line or estimated target date for the Beta release of the new Alpine matrix firmware? It would be nice to have.

1. Compatiblity with Google Play and/or Amazon App stores
    2. Built in and seamless SAMBA file sharing that can be turned on or off similar to PBO core.
    3. Able to move movable apps to SD card
    4. Fully functional/consistent remote control operation with both PBO core and Alpine remotes (Some documentation on key codes as well)
    6. Make |< and >| keys on remote page up and down file listings and also holding up or down arrows continuous scroll file list until released. Left arrow functions same as back arrow when navigating folder structures.
    7. Full or longer file name display during media browsing. More efficient use of screen space to show longer file names and more items per page

Well that's my wish list.
    I second all of these, heh.

and in line with item 4, I'm excited to see when the harmony remote database gets updated with the alpine codes, as the learn function really isn't doing the trick (very inconsistent operation using my harmony remote.. if you can imagine, it's even more frustrating than using that small remote..)

I will not use nor recommend it until an update is available with at least basic function working

Quote Originally Posted by ledan View Post
    I will not use nor recommend it until an update is available with at least basic function working
    I think that is really sound and I would also never recommend an Alpha to anyone unless they are prepared for lots of errors. Having said that, for myself I really appreciate Patriot providing a Alpha version to let me play with. I fully understand that it has a number of issues, but it is nice to see where there firmware is heading. It also provides me with an opportunity to provide my comments to Patriot at an early stage in the development.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Itslife View Post
    BROKEN
    Is there a workaround for this problem, as I am experiencing this as well. Pretty hard to test if all you can access is the media areas, and settings.

Also, has anyone had any luck getting google play installed, either on matrix or original stock versions? I was able to get Slideme to install on the stock firmware, havent tried on Matrix yet.

Veetle and netflix would be nice additions as well, just suggesting

Thanks
    Last edited by dardie72; 05-05-2012 at 05:20 AM.