Thread: Suggested improvements for new Patriot Alpine Media Player

Default Suggested improvements for new Patriot Alpine Media Player

I have used PBO Core players for some time and they work fine with the latest firmware. I received the new Alpine player and it needs some work to bring it up to a more useable standard. Here are some constructive suggestions for the next firmware upgrade

1 Allow the interface to be skinned or even wall papered like XBMC.
    2 Make a "Browse Media" menu that has similar functionality to the PBO Core so that you can browse USB, Net, SD and other media sources.
    3 Increase the length of folder and file names and scroll where necessary similar to PBO by holding navigation keys down.
    4 If the arrow up or down key is held then scroll list until key released similar to PBO
    5 Implement page up and page down with |< and >| buttons.
    6 Replace the remote with full size similar to PBO or use the PBO remote. Alternatively sell a USB remote keyboard with mouse pad as an option
    7 Implement a screen saver
    8 Implement subtitle setting to disable subtitles
    9 Implement an app store for usable android apps on the Alpine since it is very hit or miss installing APK applications. Also more memory for apps or install apps to SD card would be better.
    10 When scrolling folder or file lists the <- arrow key should function the same as back key to go back one folder level.
    11 Implement sound on the video preview window similar to PBO Core
    12 The video preview window only needs to be displayed when a video file is selected other wise do not show the preview window. This will allow more display room for the folder and file names.
    13 When scrolling music or photo folders and files show x of y counter similar to movies listing so you know how many folders or files are in the list.
    14 Make default or last media source separate for each media type. Ie if they are different network sources for movie, photo and music then keep them separate instead of having one default when you change one to another source. You should be able to change press the media type buttons on the remote and have it default to the last media source location even if they are on different drives, shares, etc.

These are my suggestions and this should be a good starting point. If anyone else has suggestions please comment. I love my PBO core and look forward to the Alpine improving to a higher level.

Thanks

15 Add ability to create play lists for any media types. Ie select a check box beside each file on for media in different folders then allow user to create a play list name. Also allow editing of playlist.
    16 A media search option would be helpful even if it is limited due to indexing issues. eg search by file name in exiting folder or view.
    17 How about a karaoke option. This could be an app.
    18 How about and ebook reader. This also could be an app

Default Correction on #8

Regarding #8. You now can disable subtitles. My problem is now I cannot "enable subtitles!"
    Thanks,
    Nylo

• Patriot PBO Alpine
    • Firmware v. 2.1.0
    • No networking
    • No apps

How about delivering what you PROMISED and standing by the product???????????

Quote Originally Posted by pageauc View Post
    I have used PBO Core players for some time and they work fine with the latest firmware. I received the new Alpine player and it needs some work to bring it up to a more useable standard. Here are some constructive suggestions for the next firmware upgrade

1 Allow the interface to be skinned or even wall papered like XBMC.
    2 Make a "Browse Media" menu that has similar functionality to the PBO Core so that you can browse USB, Net, SD and other media sources.
    3 Increase the length of folder and file names and scroll where necessary similar to PBO by holding navigation keys down.
    4 If the arrow up or down key is held then scroll list until key released similar to PBO
    5 Implement page up and page down with |< and >| buttons.
    6 Replace the remote with full size similar to PBO or use the PBO remote. Alternatively sell a USB remote keyboard with mouse pad as an option
    7 Implement a screen saver
    8 Implement subtitle setting to disable subtitles
    9 Implement an app store for usable android apps on the Alpine since it is very hit or miss installing APK applications. Also more memory for apps or install apps to SD card would be better.
    10 When scrolling folder or file lists the <- arrow key should function the same as back key to go back one folder level.
    11 Implement sound on the video preview window similar to PBO Core
    12 The video preview window only needs to be displayed when a video file is selected other wise do not show the preview window. This will allow more display room for the folder and file names.
    13 When scrolling music or photo folders and files show x of y counter similar to movies listing so you know how many folders or files are in the list.
    14 Make default or last media source separate for each media type. Ie if they are different network sources for movie, photo and music then keep them separate instead of having one default when you change one to another source. You should be able to change press the media type buttons on the remote and have it default to the last media source location even if they are on different drives, shares, etc.

These are my suggestions and this should be a good starting point. If anyone else has suggestions please comment. I love my PBO core and look forward to the Alpine improving to a higher level.

Thanks
    I second the motion to the suggestions cited by the OP. For sure, when some or most of these are implemented every user will surely give two thumbs up for it.