Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youtube not working (Now Fix)

Default Youtube not working (Now Fix)

My youtube app has stopped being able to play any videos at all. It use to only happen every other time, but now every time I try to play a vid I get the error "Can not play this streaming clip". My box is connected wirelessly. At the same time as this started happening, I added a wireless keyboard/mouse, 32g sd card, and installed z4root/samba. Not sure why any of that would have caused the problems, but uninstalled samba to make sure. I also tried to get the latest youtube version and that didn't work as well but thats not a surprise. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem or what I can do to fix it?
    Last edited by Keegander; 09-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

I recommend that you try to install the firmware and see if problems go away; I had a similar experience previously and a firmware flash fixed the problem. Unfortunately you will have to reinstall any apps currently on your PBO Alpine after the firmware flash.

Snappy46

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I recommend that you try to install the firmware and see if problems go away; I had a similar experience previously and a firmware flash fixed the problem. Unfortunately you will have to reinstall any apps currently on your PBO Alpine after the firmware flash.

Snappy46

I have the very same problem. I just updated the latest firmware but still have the same problem. When I go to youtube, click on any clip icon, it came up with "Error - Can not play this streaming clip ()". I can't even play any online videos from the browser. Please help! thanks

Dan

Dear snappy46:

I've tried installing each firmware from v1.0, v1.1 to MB86M10 available from Patriot website, but no luck. Does that mean the PBO alpine can no longer play youtube clips or do I need to update "something" to make it work. I notice the browser always go to the mobile version of websites (e.g m.google, m.yahoo) and not the desktop version. Is that the cause youtube no longer works?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danng View Post
    Dear snappy46:

I've tried installing each firmware from v1.0, v1.1 to MB86M10 available from Patriot website, but no luck. Does that mean the PBO alpine can no longer play youtube clips or do I need to update "something" to make it work. I notice the browser always go to the mobile version of websites (e.g m.google, m.yahoo) and not the desktop version. Is that the cause youtube no longer works?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dan
    Ok my bad; it will appear that YouTube has made some changes which broke the PBO Alpine YouTube application. I guess we'll have to wait for Patriot/Skyviia to release a new YouTube version since this one no longer work. As far as the web browser goes there might be a way to fool the server (google/yahoo etc..) into thinking that it is dealing with a full browser versus the one from a mobile Android device. I know that google has an option to select the standard page versus the mobile page at the bottom of the mobile page. Anyhow I'll look into it when I have a chance.

Cheers !!!

Dear Snappy46:

Thank you so much for getting back to me and confirming that the Youtube app is no longer working. I spent last two days trying to figure out what happen with it. Surprising enough, I cannot find any other users talking about this issue in the forum except Keegander who started this thread. I guess other users are not relying on this youtube app to watch youtube clips.

So now, are there any other app you would recommend to play youtube video online? I tried using earlier versions of youtube app but they are for mobile android phones and not working good at all on the Alpine? I cannot download the newer youtube app as Google requires it to download and install onto an android device which has a Google market app installed?

As for the browser, there is indeed a desktop version. But every time I try accessing youtube.com from the browser, it takes me back to the preloaded Youtube app. So I cannot watch any youtube video at all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dan

So now, are there any other app you would recommend to play youtube video online? I tried using earlier versions of youtube app but they are for mobile android phones and not working good at all on the Alpine? I cannot download the newer youtube app as Google requires it to download and install onto an android device which has a Google market app installed?
    Unfortunately even if you were able to install the latest YouTube app it would not work because it uses it's own video player versus the video player service of the PBO Alpine which has been optimized to make use of the Skyviaa 8660 chip capability to provide smooth play of video. Trying to play anything on the PBO Alpine using an apps video player which uses the standard Android media libraries does not work at all or very choppy.

As for the browser, there is indeed a desktop version. But every time I try accessing youtube.com from the browser, it takes me back to the preloaded Youtube app. So I cannot watch any youtube video at all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    You might be able to use a different browser on the PBO Alpine that have the option to act like a desktop computer browser. I believe some Android browser have an option to send a specific string when they are interrogated by the server as to which client is being used. In other words they lie to the server and tell it I am IE running on PC even though they are running on an android O/S. I know that dolphin (Best browser for android) works fine on the PBO Alpine but you pretty much need a mouse for proper navigation. This browser I think have an option to behave that way ... not sure I will have to look it up when I have a chance. I've been crazy busy lately so not sure when I can get to it.

Snappy

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I know that dolphin (Best browser for android)
    Snappy
    i'm really tempted to hijack this and turn it into a conv about why you think dolphin is the best. i'll quickly say that the stock browser works just fine for me and i find dolphin a bit cumbersome on my galaxy S2. i tried dolphin on Alpine and find it a bit too "heavy" for Alpine to handle well. the chips just aren't fast enough me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmayo View Post
    i'm really tempted to hijack this and turn it into a conv about why you think dolphin is the best. i'll quickly say that the stock browser works just fine for me and i find dolphin a bit cumbersome on my galaxy S2. i tried dolphin on Alpine and find it a bit too "heavy" for Alpine to handle well. the chips just aren't fast enough me thinks.
    I think you did more than just being tempted so I'll carry on the hijack for one last post and try to make it somewhat related to the thread ... . I will agree with you that dolphin is a little bit heavy for the PBO Alpine and only suggested it as a possible solution to counteract Danng's problem. Actually now that I reread his post once more I misunderstood what he was saying. I guess his issue is that the browser insist on playing the YouTube video using the Youtube application versus within the browser ... duh !!!! I'll have to check that out.

By the way just as a side note ..... see how it is done ; Dolphin works great on my Android tablet and render properly some pages that I lot of other browser could not so ..... IMHO it is one of the best. Of course your experience may differ .... to each is own!!! .

Cheers !!!!

issue is that the browser insist on playing the YouTube video using the Youtube application versus within the browser
    Yes Snappy, this is the issue I'm having with the stock browser.

I wouldn't care much the browser if the Youtube app works. as an alternative, I am looking for a workaround. I will try Dolphin soon and see if this workaround works.

If someone would have any suggestion to watch Youtube with this Alpine, it would be much appreciated if you could share with us.

Thank you Snappy for helping out with the issue;

Dan