Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Youtube not working (Now Fix)

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I think you did more than just being tempted
    Cheers !!!!
    ha! thanks for humoring me!

i'm actually having the same youtube problem. the thought of waiting for a fix from these guys is really depressing. i'd love to be able to do a rewrite myself but i don't know how to write compile and prep installs as apk's. i guess this means we'll just have to do without youtube access for the indeterminate future.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmayo View Post
    ha! thanks for humoring me!

i'm actually having the same youtube problem. the thought of waiting for a fix from these guys is really depressing. i'd love to be able to do a rewrite myself but i don't know how to write compile and prep installs as apk's. i guess this means we'll just have to do without youtube access for the indeterminate future.
    I am afraid that you are correct; unless someone with the know how and time can create a YouTube apps that do not insist on playing the YouTube video thru their specific video player. By the way I already submitted a suggestion to google; whose responsible for the main YouTube Android app and requested as a feature a way to select which video player should be used to play the video's versus the default player. Not sure how far this will go but if they do that we might be able to use the main YouTube app.

As far as the YouTube app used by our player it hasn't been created by Patriot but rather Skyviia which is the manufacturer of the SV8660; the processor/decoder in the PBO Alpine. Other players also use the same processor for their player and as far as I can tell use the same YouTube apps which is now broken so I am guessing that quite a few company will be requesting a fix to Skyviia for this application.

Cheers !!!

Other players also use the same processor for their player and as far as I can tell use the same YouTube apps which is now broken so I am guessing that quite a few company will be requesting a fix to Skyviia for this application.

Cheers !!!
    so snappy what are your thoughts on the following. if we can find other android systems that use this player who have successfully updated their youtube app (via skyviia), then shouldn't we be able to successfully install their apk on Alpine? i think we're on our own here as Alpine appears abandoned.

so snappy what are your thoughts on the following. if we can find other android systems that use this player who have successfully updated their youtube app (via skyviia), then shouldn't we be able to successfully install their apk on Alpine? i think we're on our own here as Alpine appears abandoned.
    My thoughts will be that any apps that does not have some kind of security/hack/pirate check to make sure that it only runs on a specific player should work. In a matter of fact I was able to install the firmware from a different manufacturer and did not had any problems with it until I tried to run some of the software that the company developed to run on their specific player/hardware. YouTube and the default video player which was develop by skyviia worked fine on the PBO Alpine with that firmware. Only when I tried to run their customized video player that I received an error message saying that "this app should not be run on this machine". Looking at the decompiled code of that customized video player it appear as if they peekk at some memory location within the flash for a specific Mac Address before letting the app run. I manage to remove that check but then the message did not appear anymore but I was welcome by a black screen of death .

Anyhow this was a few months ago; I will try to load that firmware again and see if YouTube is broken with that firmware as well just to confirm. My guess is that it is also broke but you never know. The bad news is that I do not know when I will have the time to do that; I have been crazy busy lately between work, wife and kids, and 2 night courses. I will let you know once I try.

Snappy

YouTube and the default video player which was develop by skyviia worked fine on the PBO Alpine with that firmware. Only when I tried to run their customized video player that I received an error message saying that "this app should not be run on this machine".

Snappy
    i remember reading your account of your experience after giving that a go. my thought is that other apps might be quicker to upgrade their youtube app +player faster than Alpine will but it seems from what you just wrote that the youtube app is inseparable from the firmware? well if that's the case then it's really too bad.

good luck on the course!

thanks!

it seems from what you just wrote that the youtube app is inseparable from the firmware? well if that's the case then it's really too bad.
    Not quite; although I haven't found a way to read the content of the firmware image; once the player has been flashed with that firmware the apps can be copied for example to a USB Stick or transfer to a PC (using adb) if you know where to look for them. I already transfer some of those apps and installed them on the PBO running the Patriot firmware. Of course as you might expect I received the same error message as when this firmware from another manufacturer was flashed to the player "This app should not be run on this machine". I suspect however that the YouTube app from skyviia would probably work ??? Not sure until I have time to do more experiment. Of course whenever you try to flash a foreign firmware to the PBO you risk the chance of ending up with a door stopper.

Cheers !!!

Of course whenever you try to flash a foreign firmware to the PBO you risk the chance of ending up with a door stopper.

Cheers !!!
    well i wouldn't want to brick the brick! you've explored every corner of this thing! well done!

I had some time to flash the PBO with the foreign firmware and I can confirm that the YouTube application on that firmware behave exactly the same as the Patriot firmware .... "can not play clip". No surprise there; I'll keep an eye on the firmware for anything new.

I had some time to flash the PBO with the foreign firmware and I can confirm that the YouTube application on that firmware behave exactly the same as the Patriot firmware .... "can not play clip". No surprise there; I'll keep an eye on the firmware for anything new.
    I wonder if Google has put a block to stream youtube to some android devices at their end (e.g a port blocking). If that's the case, we will need some very new firmware to work around the block.

Thanks
    Dan

Hello Snappy46:

Thank you for the Alpine user support.

I just received a link from Patriot support for the Youtube app fix. I haven't apply the fix yet but will do later today.

Here is the link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/wjpkwh6yjqt...20Fix.zip?dl=1

Thanks
    Dan