Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: building custom extended firmware for GauntletNode

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default building custom extended firmware for GauntletNode

    Hello,

    I'm looking for some details on how to build a custom firmware (partially to get some extra features built for the device).

    From what I can tell:
    on the hardware side, it's a RT2860SoC at 200+Mhz, 64MB of ram, a couple of serial ports (one of which i suspect can get access to the bootloader), it's running linux 2.6.21, apache, as well as a stripped version of samba. It looks really nice, but a couple of things bother me:
    * the one login/password is stored in plaintext in nvram
    * SMB for only one user
    * no AFP support (time machine!)
    * ssh support
    * secondary system on the HDD (for a full NAS system on disk, using the flash system as recovery)

    I'd like to rebuild the firmware, updating the kernel in the process, and adding tools.

    In order to do this, i'd like to know the following:
    - Is there is a set of toolchains that could be made available to the open source community to get this device even more awesome!
    - Is there some documentation as to where the serial ports are or if they are accessible? (i suspect that they are on the underside of the board, sadly, out of reach without actually breaking the case, which i'm not quite ready to do).
    - Is there any recovery mode already built in that can be used to experiment?

    Anyway, Thank you for building a fantastic device! I look forward to making it every bit more amazing!

    And to the community, what features would you like to see on the GauntletNode?

    epac

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    reponding to my own post, now that i have had time to look at it closer.

    CPU is mips,
    SoC is RT5350
    Wifi is RT2860
    64MB ram

    looks like a kernel+initramfs, but that might be wrong. I'm peeling appart the firmware at this point.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hi,

    Please keep us updated on your progress. I would be interested if there was a toolchain available. I'm basically after a very small computer with loads of storage and wireless communication capability. I have a NAS at home (Netgear Readynas) with openssh and apache server running and am after a mobile version that I can take with me but can also be used equally at home without loss of functionality compared with my current setup.

    Some thoughts:

    * I am somewhat concerned with security of data on such a small device and its ability to be lost or stolen. I use Truecrypt on my USB portable storage, but this requires use of a PC to run Truecrypt. I would like the same level of security on the Gauntlet Node. There are some options:
    * on the mobile devices which access the Gauntlet Node, access the Truecrypt container file via the CIFS share and then use Truecrypt on the mobile de Gauntlet vices to access the Truecrypt container. This requires all mobile devices to have Truecrypt support. Alternatively,
    * add Truecrypt support on the Gauntlet Node and control access via the web page. This will allow all the mobile devices to access the unencrypted data without needing Truecrypt support.

    * Other features which I use on my home NAS and which I would like to use in a mobile environment are (apologies if these are already supported --- I don't have the Gauntlet Node):
    * openssh support
    * Apache server with PHP

    I'm still bouncing ideas round and deciding whether to buy the Gauntlet Node, but it's ticking a lot of boxes for me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsana123 View Post
    Please keep us updated on your progress. I would be interested if there was a toolchain available. I'm basically after a very small computer with loads of storage and wireless communication capability. I have a NAS at home (Netgear Readynas) with openssh and apache server running and am after a mobile version that I can take with me but can also be used equally at home without loss of functionality compared with my current setup.
    Progress is really slow. I'm looking at finding the serial port where the output is being sent. the flash layout is 6 partition (0 is full flash, 1 is uboot [most likely] 2 & 3 seem to be config of some sort, 4 is a recovery kernel [best I can tell], and 5 is the kernel+ramdisk [the download from patriot firmware update]). I found a link to something that sounds like a full toolchains for another "ralink" device, which i'm hoping i'll be able to compile code (and i'll be sure to test with "usermode" code first).



    Quote Originally Posted by dsana123 View Post
    Some thoughts:

    * I am somewhat concerned with security of data on such a small device and its ability to be lost or stolen. I use Truecrypt on my USB portable storage, but this requires use of a PC to run Truecrypt. I would like the same level of security on the Gauntlet Node. There are some options:
    * on the mobile devices which access the Gauntlet Node, access the Truecrypt container file via the CIFS share and then use Truecrypt on the mobile de Gauntlet vices to access the Truecrypt container. This requires all mobile devices to have Truecrypt support. Alternatively,
    * add Truecrypt support on the Gauntlet Node and control access via the web page. This will allow all the mobile devices to access the unencrypted data without needing Truecrypt support.
    those wouldn't rely on anything on the gauntlet node side (access a file over SMB, which is your remote "encrypted" device). that should work with factory firmwares.

    Quote Originally Posted by dsana123 View Post
    * Other features which I use on my home NAS and which I would like to use in a mobile environment are (apologies if these are already supported --- I don't have the Gauntlet Node):
    * openssh support
    * Apache server with PHP
    I'm still bouncing ideas round and deciding whether to buy the Gauntlet Node, but it's ticking a lot of boxes for me.
    openssh is very important to me, being that the device is only accessible through wifi... once we're there, i'm not sure we can pull a full apache in there (flash seems to be pretty limited).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hello,

    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was curious to see if anything ever came of this. I would love to hear about it and contribute, as I just picked up a GauntletNode for myself today.

    Thanks!

    Murdoc

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teh.murdoc View Post
    Hello,
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was curious to see if anything ever came of this. I would love to hear about it and contribute, as I just picked up a GauntletNode for myself today.
    Actually, i just started working on this again (after a long while). I am planning on trying to get openwrt running on that beast. I am keeping a page on the openwrt wiki up to date with my progress and where i'm heading. At this point, i have access to the serial console, uboot, and all through the login process. I'm now attempting to build a openwrt image suitable for the device that could be loaded on the flash for booting. quite a few things seem to be wrong with the first one i have. I will be hooking up the second device i picked up (same one, just wanted to use one of them as reference, before i botched it all up).

    openwrt is building right now, with a set of options that i think will work... 3.8.13 kernel, initramfs, and a few tweaks to be able to connect to it... one thing i would like to be able to do is recompile uboot, but ralink/mediatek doesn't appear to share their source with the world (i believe they have to, as uboot is GPLv2, but i could be wrong).

    and for the record, some of the info i started with at the top was completely wrong. not apache, but uhttpd, the processor is RT5350F (mips 24Kc core), one serial port on the board with a populated connector (although i just soldered some wires to it). and it looks like there is JTAG just next to it, but i have to confirm that.
    Last edited by epac; 01-19-2014 at 07:12 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I found the page on openwrt http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/patriot/gauntletnode
    Any Ideas when we will see something that we can use?
    Thank you for your hard work in this project.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9

    Default

    so good news, i have a valid toolchain, a valid kernel, and most of a valid config (piggy backing on the OpenWRT project). at this point, i just bricked the default kernel, and need to go through and recover the flash.

    I intended to get openwrt on there, use uboot tools to change the bootwait in the flash, and get a proper recovery. that didn't work, as wifi is off by default (oops!).

    anyway, i expect that in the next few days, I'll have something that will work out of the box...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by epac View Post
    so good news, i have a valid toolchain, a valid kernel, and most of a valid config (piggy backing on the OpenWRT project). at this point, i just bricked the default kernel, and need to go through and recover the flash.

    I intended to get openwrt on there, use uboot tools to change the bootwait in the flash, and get a proper recovery. that didn't work, as wifi is off by default (oops!).

    anyway, i expect that in the next few days, I'll have something that will work out of the box...
    Any more news? Been waiting for an update!

  10. #10

    Default

    Great work with openwrt research. I too am very interested in this. One option that I think may be viable would be to kexec the kernel/ramdisk combination with a statically linked kexec.

    # cat /proc/kallsyms | grep -i kexec
    800448c0 W compat_sys_kexec_load
    800448c0 W sys_kexec_load
    80177f78 T EnqueueStartForPSKExec
    8017ff8c T rtmp_timer_EnqueueStartForPSKExec

    Seems like they have kexec enabled. That way you can test the images without even touching the flash until you are sure that everything is working well. I just want better file system options and chroot so that I can have a little bit of debian running to supplement features.

    One problem I'm having is that I can't even get something from debian squeeze to execute. I think that there are just a ton of dynamic library issues.

    # /media/sda1/debian-squeeze/bin/bash
    ash: /media/sda1/debian-squeeze/bin/bash: not found
    Last edited by ClashTheBunny; 05-18-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •